Autumn is upon us, and it’s time to wave farewell to summer favourites and embrace some new tooth-friendly, seasonal foods. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Casseroles and stews: casseroles and stews will fill you up for hours and give you that warm fuzzy feeling on a chilly, dark evening. You can pack stews full of vegetables that are laden with vitamins and minerals, and you don’t have to slave over a hot stove for hours.
- Eggs: eggs are a good source of protein and they’re really versatile and easy to eat. You can rustle up scrambled eggs for breakfast, hard boil some eggs to add to a salad for lunch or prepare an omelette for tea.
- Porridge: if you’re looking for an autumnal treat in the morning, porridge is a great choice. Porridge oats are filling, they’re full of fibre and the milk you add is an excellent source of calcium. Avoid adding sugar. If you have a sweet tooth, add some honey.
- Green tea: most of us love a hot drink on a chilly day, and green tea is a brilliant option if you’re flagging in the afternoon or you need warming up in the morning. Green tea is full of antioxidants and studies show that it can help to reduce your risk of gum disease.
- Cheese: if you’re looking for a dessert to replace ice cream or meringues now that summer has faded into a distant memory, why not embrace savoury flavours and have cheese and crackers? Cheese has a high pH value and it’s also a good source of calcium.
If you need any more tips or ideas or you’d like more information about healthy eating, our dental team will be happy to help.