Bad breath is a very common problem that can cause you to feel self-conscious, especially in public. If bad breath is getting you down, here are 5 ways you can put the problem to bed:
- Chewing sugar-free gum: chewing sugar-free gum helps to stimulate saliva production and freshen the breath after eating.
- Keeping a food diary: it’s very common to experience bad breath after eating certain foods. If you find that you’re prone to bad breath, keep a food dairy so that you can identify triggers. If you know that certain foods give you bad breath, you can avoid them in the future.
- Brush up on dental hygiene: the vast majority of cases of bad breath are caused by a lack of attention to brushing and flossing. Bad breath is caused by bacteria in the mouth, which produce odorous gases when they feed. Brush for 2 minutes every morning and evening and use inter-dental brushes or dental floss to clean between the teeth.
- Clean your tongue: many cases of bad breath are linked to bacteria lingering on the tongue. When these bacteria feed, they give off gases, which have an unpleasant smell.
- Book a dental hygiene session: dental hygienists are experts in dental hygiene and they can provide much more intensive cleaning treatments than brushing at home. Your dental hygienist will target areas of plaque and tartar and give your mouth a really good clean, leaving it feeling lovely and fresh. It’s also important to keep up to date with regular routine checks.