Spring is in full swing. Many of us tend to take the opportunity to spring clean our homes when warmer climes arrive, but have you thought about polishing your oral hygiene regime? Here are 6 spring cleaning tips to add sparkle to your smile:
- Swap your toothbrush: if you haven’t replaced your brush or the brush head of your electric toothbrush in the last 3-4 months, now is the time to buy a new brush or swap the head. Worn bristles aren’t as effective as new ones, and you won’t get as deep a clean.
- Use fluoride toothpaste: fluoride is a mineral, which is proven to benefit oral health by protecting the enamel, the hard outer surface of the tooth. Using fluoride toothpaste can help to reduce the risk of decay.
- Brush twice a day: we all know that dentists recommend brushing twice a day, but surveys suggest that many people only brush once. It’s important to brush every morning and evening to remove food debris and bacteria before they combine with saliva to form plaque. Plaque is the main cause of both decay and gum disease. Brushing frequently can also help to prevent bad breath and tooth staining.
- Set a timer: if you’re usually rushing to get out of the house in the morning, you may find that you’re not doing a thorough job. We recommend brushing twice a day for 2 minutes each time. If your brush doesn’t have a timer, set a timer on your phone or play a song and brush from start to finish.
- Don’t be too rough: you may think that brushing vigorously achieves better results, but being too rough with your toothbrush can actually do more harm than good. Brush gently to protect your enamel.
- Book a hygiene session: it is possible to do a really fantastic job of cleaning with your toothbrush, but nothing compares to the powerful cleaning treatments offered by dental hygienists. Hygiene treatments remove plaque and tartar, and they also tackle surface stains and blitz bad breath.
If you need any more cleaning tips, or you’re keen to book a check-up or a hygiene session, don’t hesitate to get in touch!