Be honest. How often do you floss? If you don’t already floss as part of your daily oral hygiene regime, it’s time to make some changes. Here are 5 good reasons why you should start flossing today:
- Cleaner, brighter smiles: flossing helps to clean your teeth, so that you can enjoy a brighter, more beautiful smile.
- Lower risk of decay: brushing is brilliant, but it can’t target areas that aren’t accessible with the brush head. Flossing cleans these hard to reach zones, giving you a much deeper clean and reducing the risk of decay.
- Reduced gum disease risk: it can be difficult to clean along the gum line with your toothbrush. This is where flossing comes in handy. With fine dental tape, you can remove bits of food and eliminate bacteria from the gums, reducing the risk of gum disease. Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in British adults, so it’s really important to make sure your daily dental hygiene regime is on point.
- Plaque prevention: plaque is a sticky colourless film, which forms when bacteria and food debris combine with saliva. Plaque is the most significant risk factor for decay and gum disease. Brushing and flossing help to rid the mouth of food particles and bacteria before they can form plaque.
- Fresher breath: most of us want to enjoy clean, fresh breath. Bad breath is a very common problem, which can result from poor oral hygiene. Flossing removes food debris from the mouth, decreasing the risk of bad breath, and ensuring you feel confident when you meet new people or catch up with friends and colleagues.
If you’re new to flossing, and you need any tips or advice, we’ll be happy to help! Call us our Essex Dentist now or pop in and see us if you’re passing.