If you’re looking for ideas for New Year’s resolutions, look no further than your pearly whites. Why not make 2017 the year you enjoy a bright, healthy smile? Here are 7 top tips to get you started.
- Brush twice a day: this is the most important piece of advice you’ll receive when it comes to keeping your teeth health. Brushing helps to eliminate bacteria and food debris, reducing the risk of plaque formation.
- Brush with fluoride toothpaste: fluoride is a mineral, which helps to reduce the risk of dental decay by strengthening the tooth enamel.
- Avoid rinsing after brushing: many people automatically rinse after brushing their teeth. But it’s actually better to brush and go. If you rinse, you’ll wash away the fluoride.
- Swap your brush every 3-4 months: if you haven’t replaced your toothbrush for a few months, it’s time to invest in a new brush or swap the brush head over if you have an electric toothbrush. Worn bristles won’t do a thorough job.
- See your dentist ever 6-9 months: regular dental appointments can reduce your risk of developing gum disease and cavities by up to 60 percent. Ideally, you should attend a routine check every 6-9 months.
- Don’t snack! You may be trying to give up snacking to lose weight, but avoiding eating between meals also has amazing benefits for your oral health. Eating causes bacteria in your mouth to release acids, which weaken your enamel. It takes time for the enamel to recover. If you’re eating all day, your enamel will be under constant attack.
- Wait an hour after eating to brush: brushing when the enamel is soft can cause damage. Always try and wait an hour after eating or drinking anything sugary or acidic to brush your teeth.