If you’re keen to keep your smile in check, it’s wise to keep an eye on your diet. The food and drinks you consume can play a major role in enhancing or detracting from the beauty of your smile. If keeping your teeth white and bright is your main concern, here are 5 drinks to avoid this summer:
- Coffee: many people can’t survive with a morning caffeine fix, but did you know that coffee is one of the worst offenders when it comes to tooth discolouration? Staining agents like tannin can make the teeth look yellow or brown, making your smile look less healthy and radiant.
- Tea: tea is another drink to avoid if you want to keep your smile shining bright. Tea contains staining agents, which discolour the teeth. This applies to both black tea and green tea. If you can’t deal with the prospect of life without a cuppa, drink a glass of water straight after your tea.
- Cola: cola is one of the most popular summer drinks, but next time you head to the fridge, spare a thought for your smile. Cola is not only rich in staining agents, it’s also packed full of sugar, and it’s acidic.
- Wine: many people enjoy a glass of wine or two on a summer evening. Unfortunately, although wine is delicious, it can spell problems for your teeth. Both white and red wine are proven to stain the teeth, and wine also has a very low pH value. Acidic drinks contribute to erosion of the tooth enamel.
- Juice: it’s very common to assume that juice is a healthy option, but many shop-bought fruit juices have high sugar content and a low pH value. If you are keen on fruit juice, dilute your juice, use a straw, and stick to drinking juice at mealtimes.